Do you feel like something comforting then this rice pudding is a dessert that will sooth the soul and impress everyone! This dessert is simple to make and uses only a few ingredients. The only real trick is the continuous stirring until the mixture thickens.
Corn flour is used to further thicken the mixture and we add sultanas and ç which adds texture and taste surprise. This delight is best eaten warm and it can be refrigerated and warmed up the day after (if it lasts that long).
Rizogalo, Greek rice pudding recipeCourse: DessertCuisine: GreekDifficulty: Easy
1/2 cup water
1 cup medium grain rice
1-litre milk (full cream)
½ cup sultanas
½ cup pistachios
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon corn flour
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
cinnamon powder for garnish
- Add water to the hot pot and bring to boiling point.
- Wash rice, removing starch and add to the pot – stirring through thoroughly.
- Slowly add milk, cinnamon stick stirring through thoroughly.
- Bring mixture to boiling point – continuously stirring the mixture.
- Add sultana and pistachio mixture, slowly combining into the pudding mixture.
- Extract approximately 4 tablespoons of the hot mixture (liquid only), combine with an equal amount of cold milk and add 1 tablespoon of corn flour.
- Combine the thickening agents (above step) before stirring into the hot mixture.
- Bring mixture to boiling point before removing cinnamon stick and pouring the mixture into bowls (equal amounts).
- Dust cinnamon powder over puddings (generous amount) and apply sugar over the tops.