Okra are tender and sweet and when cooked correctly they are extremely delicious. Honestly, the secret to this vegetarian dish is the tomato and garlic based sauce.
Okra are seasonal therefore froze okra will work just as well.
Oven baked okra recipe (Bamies ladera)Course: MainCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
2kg okra (fresh)
3 – 4 potatoes (cut into quarters)
7 – 8 garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
3 – 4 large onions (roughly chopped)
1 mild red pepper (finely chopped)
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
½ cup red wine
parsley – bunch (finely chopped)
1 teaspoon dry mixed herbs (optional)
1 cup lukewarm water (optional)
1 cup olive oil (for sauce base)
1 cup canola oil (for light vegetable frying)
- Wash okra thoroughly and then dry each piece (using a clean towel).
- Clean okra – peeling the tips while maintaining the cone-like shape.
- Add 1 cup olive oil to the hot pan and allow the oil to heat up before adding garlic and onions.
- Thoroughly stir garlic and onions adding ½ cup red wine to the mixture and continuing to stir the mixture.
- Add tomato and tomato paste mixture, stirring through thoroughly and adding salt and pepper (to taste).
- Turning heat off and putting sauce mixture aside.
- In a separate pot or pan add 1 cup canola oil and toss through okra (just enough to soften and brown).
- Remove okra placing on a sieve, draining any excess oil and adding slightly cooked through okra into a baking dish.
- Continue this process for the remaining okra, doing the same for the potatoes also.
- Spread okra and potatoes evenly adding tomato base sauce and mixing through both the okra and potatoes.
- Add finely chopped parsley and mild red pepper, spreading evenly and covering baking dish with baking paper and aluminium foil.
- Bake covered at 180C for 30 minutes.
- Gently mix through ingredients and bake further uncovered for a further 15 minutes. If required add a half cup of lukewarm water to base (check base of the baking dish for liquid).
- Serve with some rice and a nice heavy shiraz.
- You can add Chicken, lamb or pork. Briefly brown in olive oil and then add to the baking dish with okra and potatoes.