Kalitsounia are small cheese or herb pies associated with the Greek island of Crete. They resemble a common cheese or stuffed pie.
Με μια ντομάτα δυο ελιές, τρία παξιμαδάκια
πίνουν στην Κρήτη τσικουδιά και λεν΄ μαντιναδάκια.
How to make the kalitsounia filo.
Ingredients for kalitsounia filo.
2 kg All-purpose plain flour.
2 Tablespoons olive oil.
1 Tablespoon salt.
2 Lemons (fresh juice).
1 Cup water (room temperature).
Instructions for kalitsounia filo.
- Sift flour into a large bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt into the mixture and mix into the flour.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil into mixture and rub into flour mixture.
- Add juice of lemons and water into flour mixture.
- Mix and knead flour mixture well – add extra water or flour (as needed).
- The pastry is ready once mixture forms an elastic texture.
- Cover pastry until required.
* When kneading flour mixture ensure to do this step well (taking your time). The filo is ready when it turns elastic, this whole process could take up to 15 minutes.
* Filo pastry is used for such things as spanakopita, tiropita, kalitsounia, baklava amongst other yummy pastry dishes.