Kalitsounia are small cheese or herb pies associated with the Greek island of Crete. They resemble a common cheese or stuffed pie.
Με μια ντομάτα δυο ελιές, τρία παξιμαδάκια
πίνουν στην Κρήτη τσικουδιά και λεν΄ μαντιναδάκια.
Kalitsounia, Cretan recipe (Kαλιτσούνια)Course: Appetizers, PastryCuisine: Greek, CretanDifficulty: Medium
500 grams feta
500 grams ricotta
2 eggs (fresh)
1 bunch mint (fresh)
1 tablespoon salt
canola oil for frying
honey and cinnamon for garnish (optional)
- Add cheese(s) to a large mixing bowl.
- Finely chop mint and put it in mixing bowl.
- Add both eggs and salt to mixing bowl.
- Combine all ingredients (mixing well).
- Filo needs to be rolled out using a rolling pin to about ½ cm in thickness.
- Add mixture (Tablespoon size) to filo and fold filo over (covering mixture).
- Using pastry cutter – cut around filo and mixture.
- Add Canola oil to frying pan and add pastry ensuring to turn over periodically.
- Once both sides of pastry are golden brown add to plate (paper towel to soak oil).
- To serve, add honey and cinnamon (optional).
- INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE THE KALITSOUNIA FILO ARE FURTHER DOWN ON THIS ARTICLE.
How to make the kalitsounia filo.
Ingredients for kalitsounia filo.
2 kg All-purpose plain flour.
2 Tablespoons olive oil.
1 Tablespoon salt.
2 Lemons (fresh juice).
1 Cup water (room temperature).
Instructions for kalitsounia filo.
- Sift flour into a large bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt into the mixture and mix into the flour.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil into mixture and rub into flour mixture.
- Add juice of lemons and water into flour mixture.
- Mix and knead flour mixture well – add extra water or flour (as needed).
- The pastry is ready once mixture forms an elastic texture.
- Cover pastry until required.
* When kneading flour mixture ensure to do this step well (taking your time). The filo is ready when it turns elastic, this whole process could take up to 15 minutes.
* Filo pastry is used for such things as spanakopita, tiropita, kalitsounia, baklava amongst other yummy pastry dishes.