How to make baklava (Baklava recipe)Course: DessertDifficulty: Easy
Baklava is made from layers of filo pastry filled with chopped walnuts and held together by honey syrup.
Phyllo/filo sheets (24 pieces – store bought)
4 cups walnuts (finely ground)
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon clove powder
40grams butter (melted)
1 cup lukewarm water
- Syrup Ingredients
3 cups of water
2 cups honey
3 Cups White Sugar
½ lemon (wedges)
1 cinnamon stick
- Finely grind walnuts.
- Add sugar, cinnamon powder and clove powder.
- Combine ingredients and set aside.
- Melt butter and apply a thick layer to a baking tray.
- Add phyllo/filo sheets to the baking tray, applying melted butter between each sheet.
- Repeat process for six sheets.
- Add a thick layer of the walnut and spice mix and add 2 phyllo/filo sheets, applying melted butter between sheets.
- Repeat process for 3 layers.
- Add top layer phyllo/filo sheets, applying melted butter between sheets (6 sheets).
- Fold phyllo/filo ends inwards, applying melted butter and adding a further sheet on top.
- Apply further melted butter to top layer sheet ensuring to coat melted butter all over the top layer, applying lukewarm water over the top layer of phyllo/filo.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the baklava into even square pieces.
- Bake baklava @ 160 C for 60 minutes or until top layer is golden brown.
- Prepare the syrup by adding water, cinnamon stick, lemons, sugar and honey to a pot.
- Combine ingredients, stirring through thoroughly and allowing to the mixture to reduce until mixture turns into syrup.
- Add a generous quantity of syrup over cooled baklava.
- Apply cinnamon powder over baklava.
- Adding lukewarm water over the top layer of phyllo/filo will ensure ease of cutting through of baklava.