Zucchini fritters are a popular Greek vegetarian dish (known as ko-lo-ki-tho-ke-fte-des). They are packed with amazing herbs and spices. They make a healthy appetizer, side dish, light meal or even a quick snack. These delights are guaranteed to be a favourite with everyone.
Zucchini fritters are normally accompanied by your favourite dipping sauce, traditionally tzatziki (yogurt and cucumber dip). Not to mention a perfect side dish with an ice-cold beer or ouzo.
Ingredients for Greek zucchini fritters
- 1 zucchini (large)
- 1 carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 white onions (medium size)
- 1 chilli (mild)
- mint (fresh bunch)
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs (dry)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (mild)
- 3 fresh eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of soda water
- salt & pepper (to taste)
Instructions for Greek zucchini fritters
- Grate zucchini. carrot and onions into a large bowl.
- Chop chilli & mint finely and add to zucchini, carrot and onion mixture.
- Crush garlic cloves, adding to mixture.
- Add Italian herbs, paprika, baking powder, salt, pepper, 3 eggs and half a cup of flour to mixture.
- Mix ingredients thoroughly adding additional flour (as needed).
- Add half a cup of soda water to the mixture.
- Keep mixing ingredients until mixture firms up, adding additional flour if required.
- Cover bowl with clear plastic & refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hours (mixture will rise and firm up).
- Uncover bowl and mix ingredients until mixture loosens up.
- Add canola oil to a deep frying pan (heat on high).
- Scoop the mixture with a spoon once the oil begins to sizzle.
- Cook scooped mixture for up to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Once cooked place on a paper towel to soak any excess oil (4-5 minutes).
- Repeat process until you have cooked all the mixture.
- Squeeze half lemon over fritters (optional).
Garnish Greek zucchini fritters.
Dice 1 large ripe tomato spreading over fritters. Add additional fresh chopped mint ensuring you spread evenly.