Greek spinach rice – Spanakorizo is a classic traditional Greek vegetarian dish, served as a side or as the main dish. This dish is delicious and more importantly very easy to make. Spinach is a confirmed “Super Food”, good for bone, eyes and blood pressure.
In our recipe, we use Arborio medium grain rice which is commonly used in risottos. We find that this blend of rice adds more texture and thickness to the dish. Originally this dish is made with normal white medium grain rice.
Ingredients for greek spinach and rice
- 1kg spinach rinsed and stemmed
- 1 cup arborio rice (medium grain)
- 2 large onion (roughly chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
- 3 – 4 lemons (juice)
- ½ bunch of fennel, spring and parsley (roughly chopped)
- 1 chilli (mild)
- ¼ cup of white wine
- ¼ cup of water
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- feta cheese (optional)
Instructions for greek spinach and rice
- Roughly chop onions and garlic.
- Chop fresh herbs (fennel, spring onion & parsley), combining all herbs once chopped.
- Cut mild chilli into thin circular rings.
- Ensure spinach has been washed before chopping roughly.
- Heat pan over high heat, adding olive oil and allowing oil to sizzle before adding the garlic and onions.
- Stir ingredients through (approx. 5 minutes), until translucent.
- Add rice, ensuring rice gets coated with oil. Stirring thoroughly for approx. 5 minutes.
- At this point, add spinach to mixture ensuring you mix through all of the ingredients.
- Continue to mix through ingredients for approximately 5 minutes.
Add fresh herbs, mixing through ingredients.
- At this point, add white wine to mixture ensuring you are continuously mixing through all of the ingredients.
- Add water including salt and pepper and then fold through all of the ingredients.
- Cover pan and allow the ingredients to cook further (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add chilli and cover pan for a further 5 minutes.
- Turn heat off, leave pan covered for a further 5 minutes before plating up.
Commonly served with a piece of feta cheese and lemon wedges. Adding feta adds a salty component to the dish.
Did You Know
- Spinach is a native plant of Persia.
- Just half a cup of raw spinach counts as 1 of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables you should eat a day.
- Spinach is best eaten fresh. It loses nutritional properties with each passing day.