Greek pastitsio recipe (Baked pasta)Course: MainCuisine: Greek, MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
Delicious with every bite, this recipe will have everyone licking their lips. Layers of penne rigate pasta covered with luscious meat sauce and topped with a creamy béchamel sauce. Pastitsio is then baked until golden brown.
MEAT SAUCE INGREDIENTS
1kg mince meat (beef)
5 – 6 garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
4 onions (roughly chopped)
400g diced tomatoes
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon paprika (mild)
1 teaspoon mix dry herbs
parsley – bunch (roughly chopped)
1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
1-litre milk (room temperature)
½ cup plain flour (sifted)
1 whole egg (beaten)
salt & pepper (to taste)
½ cup parmesan cheese (normally added on-top of dishes as a final step)
PASTA & ASSEMBLY
500g penne rigate pasta
125g parmesan cheese (grated)
3 egg whites (beaten)
- Meat Sauce Instructions.
Add olive oil to the hot pot and add mincemeat, stirring continuously until meat liquid dissolves and meat has browned.
- Add garlic and onions continuously stir through, adding red wine.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly covering the pot for up to 5 minutes.
- Uncover pot stirring thoroughly mixture and coving pot for a further 5 minutes.
- Add tomato and tomato paste into the mixture, stirring through thoroughly before covering the pot for a further 10 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and add paprika, dry mixed herbs, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Stir through ingredients thoroughly, adding 1 cup of water
- Cover pot and lower heat for a further 5 minutes (allowing the sauce to simmer), turning the heat off and allowing the sauce to rest.
- Pasta & Assembly.
In a large pot add water, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt, bringing water to the boil.
- Add pasta, stirring through once or twice until the pasta has softened (dente).
- Drain pasta, rinsing cold tap water over pasta (this stops the cooking process) and adding drained pasta back into a large empty pot.
- Beat 3 egg whites thoroughly, stirring through pasta.
- Add a generous portion of parmesan cheese to the base of the baking dish, adding a layer of pasta (half quantity) to base (spreading evenly) and apply a generous portion of parmesan cheese over pasta.
- Spoon over meat sauce (spreading evenly) over pasta and adding the rest of the pasta over the meat sauce (spreading evenly) and applying a generous portion of parmesan cheese over pasta.
- Béchamel Sauce – Béchamel Video.
In a separate hot pot (low to medium heat), stirring until the butter has fully dissolved.
- Slowly sift plain flour into the pot, continuing to stir slowly at the same time.
- Continue stirring until mixture begins to change colour (brown colour).
- Slowly add milk, continuing to stir slowly at the same time.
- The mixture will begin to thicken, add 1 beaten whole egg to the mixture – stirring rapidly.
- Add salt and pepper (to taste), continuing to stir slowly.
- Once the mixture thickens, remove the pot from the heat and apply over pasta (spreading evenly).
- Apply a generous amount of parmesan cheese over Béchamel and bake at 180 C for up to 60 minutes or until pastitsio is golden brown.
- Allow pastitsio to cool before serving.
- To save time, you can make the meat sauce the night before and heat up as required the following day.
- Pastitsio holds well for up to 3 days (in a sealed container).