Greek orange and almond sponge cake recipe ( keik portokali me amigdala)Course: DessertCuisine: GreekDifficulty: Easy
This easy cake is a definitely a winner and a perfect companion with your next coffee or tea.
2 eggs (whole)
250 grams unsalted butter
2 cups self-rising flour (sifted)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanillin sugar
1 cup flaked almonds
1 cup sugar (white)
- Finely grate oranges, cutting oranges into quarters and blend oranges thoroughly, set aside.
- Sift flour and sift through 1 tablespoon baking powder, mixing through thoroughly.
- Using the mixer on low speed add melted butter and sugar, allowing to combine thoroughly.
- Increase mixer speed, slowly adding eggs, allowing to combine thoroughly.
- Add vanillin sugar, orange zest and almond flakes to the cake mixture, lowering mixer speed.
- Combine blended orange juice into the cake mixture, combining thoroughly.
- Stop mixing process and slowly add flour to the cake mixture, combining thoroughly.
- Butter baking tray thoroughly and dust flour ensuring tin is covered (this ensures cake won’t stick to baking tin).
- Add cake mixture to the baking tin, applying cake mixture evenly.
- Bake at 160 C for 40 minutes.
- Apply a gentle layer of icing sugar (optional).