Greek olive bread recipe (Eliopsomo)Course: Appetizers, Snacks, Sides, BreakfastCuisine: GreekDifficulty: Easy
Who doesn’t love the smell of freshly baked bread? Warm olive bread with a light spread of butter and a warm cup of coffee or tea, need I say anymore? Our version of this delight will no doubt have you baking more often.
5 cups plain flour
1 sachet dry yeast (7-10 grams)
1 onion (roughly chopped)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon fresh mild chilli (finely chopped – to taste)
1 cup pitted black olives
2 tablespoons olive oil
water (lukewarm – as needed)
- In a shallow bowl add yeast, sugar, 4 tablespoons of lukewarm water and combine ingredients.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sifted flour to the mixture, combining thoroughly.
- Dust some sifted flour over the mixture and cover bowl with a clean kitchen towel.
- Place covered bowl in a warm area for up to 60 minutes, allowing yeast mixture to double in size.
- In a separate large bowl, add the remaining sifted flour.
- Make a well in the middle and add all of the yeast mixture in the centre.
- Add 1 cup lukewarm water and using your hand begin to combine ingredients using a circular motion.
- Continue this process until all ingredients are mixed through.
- Add pitted black olives, onions, olive oil, chilli and knead the mixture until it comes together.
- Apply olive oil to 2 bread baking dishes or apply baking paper to bottoms of baking trays.
- Divide bread mixture into 2 equal portions and add to baking trays, spreading evenly.
- Cover baking trays with a clean kitchen towel and place trays in a warm area for up to 60 minutes, allowing bread mixture to double in size.
- Pierce bread dough and bake at 180C for 40 Minutes.