Greek meatballs soup recipe (Youvarlakia avgolemono)Course: Main, Appetizers, SoupsCuisine: GreekDifficulty: Medium
A hearty and delicious tangy lemon sauce meatball winter soup. A guaranteed winner with everyone.
- Soup ingredients
lamb shanks (2 pieces)
1 onion (halved)
1 teaspoon chilli (finely chopped)
3 carrots (finely chopped)
1 sweet potato (cubed chopped)
1 leek (finely chopped)
spring onion (bunch – finely chopped)
spinach (bunch – finely chopped)
1 red pepper (finely chopped)
- Meatball Ingredients
600 grams beef mince
parsley (1 cup – finely chopped)
onion (1 cup – finely chopped)
4 garlic fresh cloves (finely chopped)
1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 cup rice (medium grain)
- Egg & lemon sauce (Avgolemono)
2 eggs (whites & yolks separated)
salt (to taste)
3 tablespoons water
3 lemons (juice only)
- Wash and chop all vegetables and herbs, setting aside.
- Rinse lamb shanks, removing any blood.
- Add lamb shanks to a large pot filled with water and cover pot, bringing to boil.
- Discard boiled water and add fresh water to the large pot, adding 1 onion (halved) covering the pot, bring to simmer point.
- Add chilli and celery, stirring ingredients thoroughly and covering the pot, bringing to boil.
- Uncover the pot and add carrots, sweet potato, leek, spring onion, spinach and red pepper.
- Stir ingredients thoroughly and cover the pot, bringing to boil.
- Prepare meatballs by combining parsley, onion, garlic, salt and rice to beef mince.
- Mix though meatball ingredients, combining mixture and roll into a medium size ball shape.
- Gently add meatballs into soup, allow to cook through for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of soup liquid setting aside.
- Separate egg whites and yolks.
- Beat egg whites thoroughly, adding 1 teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons water.
- Add egg yolks and half of the lemon juice squeezed continuing the mixing process.
- Slowly introduce half of the pot liquid and the rest of the lemon juice whilst continuing the mixing process.
- Stop the mixing process and slowly add pot liquid to the lemon sauce mixture, stirring the mixture.
- Slowly add the mixture into the pot, continuously stirring through as to combine all ingredients.
- Served with additional lemon wedges.