Fish are packed with Omega 3 and rich in calcium and phosphorus and a great source of minerals, such as iron, zinc, iodine, magnesium, and potassium.
Greek fish soup recipe (Psarosoupa)Course: Main, AppetizersCuisine: GreekDifficulty: Medium
There are many variations of this wholesome fish soup and once you try our version you will soon have a new favourite. This soup is healthy, light and delicious not to mention packed with vitamins.
fresh fish pieces
6 – 7 carrots
1 sweet potato
4 – 5 potatoes
4 – 5 onions
1 red chilli (to taste)
1 bunch spring onions
500 grams of spinach
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon (juice only)
1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- Clean fish pieces and add to a large pot of water, over medium heat and bring to boiling point.
- Wash and peel vegetables roughly chopping carrots, leek, spring onion and celery.
- Onions and potatoes can remain whole and sweet potato can be halved.
- Finely chop the chilli, setting aside.
- Wash spinach thoroughly, set aside.
- Skim off any foam that surfaces to the top, adding 1 whole onion and half celery and leek to stock.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to fish stock and continue the boiling process.
- Once the fish stock has reached boiling point remove fish pieces, set aside.
- Strain fish stock and return to low heat adding carrots, potatoes, sweet potato, onions and remaining leek and celery and bring to boiling point.
- Remove bones from fish pieces.
- Once the fish stock has reached boiling point, vegetables should be soft in texture.
- Remove a quarter of the fish stock and good quantity of vegetables into a separate pot and blitz until smooth in texture.
- Combine blitz ingredients into fish stock and stir through thoroughly.
- Add chilli, spinach and spring onion.
- Stir through ingredients thoroughly.
- Add salt and olive oil and deboned fish pieces gently stirring through ingredients.
- Allow the fish stock to come to boiling point and add the juice of 1 lemon before serving.
- Use fish pieces with bones rather than fish fillets.
- You can use white or red onions (avoid using brown onions).
- Serve with additional lemon wedges.
- You can also add a ½ cup of rice (medium grain).