Greek cabbage rolls recipe (Lahanodolmades)Course: Main, AppetizersCuisine: Greek, MediterraneanDifficulty: Medium
Greek cabbage rolls are filled with rice and fresh herbs. The perfect vegetarian dish that can easily be converted into a meat dish with the addition of beef mince. One thing is for sure, this dish will be one you make over and over again.
1 cabbage (green or red)
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 large onions (roughly chopped)
1 leek (roughly chopped)
2 cups medium grain rice
1 eggplant (finely chopped)
1 zucchini (finely chopped)
1 red capsicum (finely chopped)
1 can crushed tomatoes (410grams)
1 bunch spring onions (finely chopped)
1 bunch dill (finely chopped)
1 bunch parsley (finely chopped)
1 bunch spearmint (finely chopped)
1 bunch fennel (finely chopped)
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon dry mixed herbs
lemon juice from 4-5 lemons
3 cups of water
- Remove the stem of the cabbage with a sharp knife creating a small hole.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt to a large pot of hot water and add cabbage and cover pot for 10 minutes. Turn cabbage over and cover the pot for a further 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan add 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add onions and leek, stirring through thoroughly until soften.
- Stir through rice, combining ingredients.
- Add eggplant, zucchini and red capsicum, stirring through thoroughly.
- Once ingredients have combined add crushed tomato puree, stirring through thoroughly.
- Add spring onions, dill, parsley, spearmint and fennel, stirring through thoroughly.
- Cover pan for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste), 1 teaspoon pepper (to taste), 1 teaspoon paprika. ½ teaspoon chilli flakes, 1 teaspoon dry mixed herbs and juices of 2 – 3 lemons.
- Combine all ingredients, stirring through thoroughly and adding 1 cup water to the mixture.
- Turn heat off and cover the pan.
- In a deep pot add leftover fresh herbs and vegetables to base.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and shallow fry for 5 minutes. This step will ensure cabbage rolls will not stick to the base of the pot when cooking. Spreading evenly across pot base.
- Separate blanched cabbage leaves
- Remove the harder part from the bottom of the cabbage leaf, making a “V” type incision. As demonstrated in our video starting at 5:47 until 5:57.
- Add 2 tablespoons mixture to the cabbage and fold cabbage leaf using the technique demonstrated in our video starting at 5:57 until 6:23, repeating this process until all of the mixtures have been utilised.
- Add rolled cabbage rolls into a deep pot, adding remaining lemon juice over cabbage rolls.
- Cover cabbage rolls using 1 unblanched cabbage leaf and placing a shallow bowl over cabbage leaf as a weight.
- Add 2 cups of water and cook covered on high heat for 25 minutes, checking to see if pot juices are at boiling point before turning the heat down to a low.
- Remove shallow bowl and cook covered for a further for 15 minutes.
- Turn heat off and cover with a clean kitchen towel and pot lid for 10 minutes.
- Remove kitchen towel and cabbage leaf before serving.
- Cabbage rolls hold well for up to 3 days (in a sealed container).
- Serve with plain yoghurt.