Easy falafel vegan recipe.Course: Main, AppetizersCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
Golden crispy and moist on the inside. Our easy to follow recipe will be a winner with everyone. Traditionally dipped in your selection of sauces or do what we do and turn these delights into falafel souvlakia. This recipe makes approximately 60 plus falafel pieces.
1kg raw chickpeas
1 bunch coriander
1 bunch parsley
1 bunch spring onion
4 – onions
8 – 10 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
1 tablespoon dry coriander powder (to taste)
1 teaspoon chilli flakes (to taste)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder (to taste)
1 cup plain flour
canola oil for frying
Pita bread (optional)
- Wash raw chickpeas and soak overnight (or for at least 4 hours).
- Discard chickpea water, rinsing soaked chickpeas in a large strainer.
- Chickpeas will double in size and have a soft texture.
- In a large bowl add roughly chopped onions, parsley, spring onions, coriander.
- Add garlic cloves, chickpeas and mix through all ingredients thoroughly.
- Using a blender, add a small portion of ingredients and blend thoroughly.
- Remove mixture, placing in a separate bowl.
- Continue the process until all ingredients have been blended.
- Add salt, coriander powder, chilli flakes, baking powder, cumin powder and flour to the blended mixture.
- Combine ingredients, mixing through thoroughly.
- Lightly roll into a small round ball shape and set aside.
- Add canola oil into a medium-size pot over high heat.
- Once oil has reached sizzle point, add falafel balls and cook until golden brown.
- Remove falafel balls, placing balls on a paper towel.
- Serve falafel as finger food with a varied of dipping sauces or as falafel souvlaki.
- Falafel mixture holds well for up to 3 months (in a sealed container) when stored in the freezer.
- Use pita bread and fresh garden salad with your selection of sauces (feta cheese optional) turning these delights into falafel souvlaki.